Real Strawberry Milk Recipe
- Strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- Sugar or other sweetener (I like to use raw sugar or occasionally honey)
- Whole milk (I prefer the taste and lower sugar content of whole milk)
1. Put strawberries, water and sugar in a saucepan. For a pint of strawberries, I usually put in about 4 cups of water and ¾ a cup of sugar (sometimes as little as ½ a cup- depends on how healthy I feel like being).
2. Bring the water to a boil and allow the mixture to simmer until the strawberries are turned into pulp and the sugar is dissolved (it takes about 20 minutes at most).
3. Allow the strawberries to sit in the liquid until it cools to room temperature.
4. Strain the syrup using a colander. Press the strawberries with the back of a spoon to remove as much of the juice as possible. Let the colander sit on top of a bowl until it stops dripping.
5. Pour the syrup into a container (we usually use mason jars) and refrigerate.
6. Once the syrup is cold, add about 1-2 tablespoons per 8 ounces of milk and stir. The amount of syrup needed will vary depending on the ripeness/tartness of the strawberries.