Last Christmas, my mother-in-law gave me a sewing machine. When I was a kid, I had a machine that barely worked, that my parents picked up for super cheap at a garage sale. I always loved trying to work with it, but never was able to really do anything with it. So I was excited to get one for Christmas last year. Since I got my machine, I’ve made several things, with varying success (nothing on professional level or anything). Monkey has been interested in sewing as well, so I let her help with cutting and pressing the pedal to make the needle go. She thinks it’s fun. Recently, we had to get rid of our sofa. We haven’t replaced it yet, because we’re trying to pay for it in cash. I had seen online some people who made sofa-type things from pallets, but we didn’t have any of those. What we do have, however, is a trundle bed. We brought that into the living room and sort of converted it into a low sofa/bed thing. I decided that I needed to add some pillows to make it look more like a sofa. So Monkey and I made some. This is what we did: First, I purchased some super-cheap upholstery fabric at Joann’s for like, $2. Then I took an old ugly pillow and used it as the pillow form. I traced around the pillow (super scientifically with my eyes) and cut out fabric for two pillowcases.
I noticed I had some extra strips of fabric from my yard, so I cut two rectangles to transform into a bow in the center of each pillow.
I hemmed the long sides of the rectangles and pinned them between the sides of the pillow pieces. I sewed up three sides of the pillows and the corners of the fourth sides.
I then made two, tube-like shape from the last bit of fabric. I hemmed the short edges and sewed the long together to make one tube. I turned the tube right-side out and wrapped it around the center piece of the pillow. I sewed the two ends of the tube closed to make the center of the bow.
Finally, I stuffed the pillows into the pillowcase and sewed up the opening by hand. Monkey helped cut, sew, and stuff the pillows herself. I don’t know what subject this could be, but I’m counting it as something! I ended up having to readjust the size of one pillowcase, to make it a little smaller, but that took like, 2 seconds.