Die-hard fans of cloth diapers will tell you that cloth diapering is as easy as switching out disposables for cloth. Disposable fans talk about how much easier it is to be able to throw away diapers.
Now that I’ve done both, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the pros and cons of each method. When Monkey was a baby, I didn’t even consider cloth diapers. Probably because I didn’t use the Internet to look at blogs. In fact, in 2006, “mom blogging” was just getting started. Crazy, I know.
But with Bo, I figured since I work from home now anyway, I might as well give it a go.
Here are what I believe are the true pros and cons of each diaper, from a mostly unbiased prospective. 🙂
Disposable diaper advantages:
- They take up much less room.
- You don’t have to lug dirty diapers around while on-the-go.
- They are more absorbent.
- Generally, there is less issue about fit because the diapers are more flexible.
- You don’t have to wash them.
Disposable diaper disadvantages:
- When they leak, it is super disgusting.
- They can explode.
- They are not very earth-friendly.
- Disposable diapers are expensive.
- Sometimes it can be a challenge to find the right brand (we could only use Pampers with Monkey, all other diapers leaked like crazy).
- You always have to make sure you have a supply of extras on hand.
- If you don’t dispose of them quickly, they can really stink.
- Chemicals in the diapers might irritate some babies’ skin.
Cloth diaper advantages:
- Earth friendly.
- Sometimes better for sensitive baby skin.
- Inexpensive (especially if you use them for multiple children).
- There is a type of diaper for every issue.
- May help children potty train sooner.
Cloth diaper disadvantages:
- You have to wash them.
- Disposing of solid waste is probably a pain (I haven’t got there yet).
- Finding the right diaper for each child can be a challenge.
- Leaks occur easily through user error.
- Traditional diaper rash creams ruin the diapers.
- Changing diapers on-the-go requires additional gear.
So there you have it.When it comes down to it, any type of diaper is kind of a pain. That’s why we all count down the days until potty training, right?
Come back next time for more Cloth Diaper Saga. The next topic is Do Cloth Diapers Really Save Money?