I’m glad you stopped by! We love sharing our homeschooling tips and craft ideas with you. This post may contain affiliate links. View the full disclosure statement for more details. Sign up for the Schooling a Monkey newsletter to gain access to even more homeschooling and craft ideas!
American Flag Surprise Cake Recipe
- Whole milk
- 10 eggs
- Buttermilk (we used Bulgarian full fat buttermilk and it was amazing)
- 6 sticks of butter (or 48 ounces if your butter does not come in standard stick sizes. We usually buy Kerrygold which comes in 16 ounce sticks)
- 6 cups of sugar
- Paste food coloring in blue and red
- Parchment paper
German Buttercream Recipe
German Buttercream Ingredients
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (I’ve tried it with cornstarch and flour, and cornstarch is better if you have no allergies. The flour version leaves a slight flour taste in the custard. If you do use flour, use 3 tablespoons.)
- 4 sticks of butter (if your butter is rich, you may be able to get away with 3 sticks). I’ve tried it both with unsalted and salted butter, and I am not sure which I prefer. The unsalted version is a little flatter in taste, but salted butter makes it taste more like butter. If you use salted butter, skip adding salt.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
Assembling the American Flag Surprise Cake
|This was before I trimmed the hidden white layer to make the|
red circle lay flat with the top of the blue layer.
Simplified Version of the American Flag Surprise Cake
A Word on Buttercream Icing
More Patriotic Fun
Did you love this post? Share it with a friend!
Get the printable activity list!
Join the Homeschooling 101 group for more homeschool encouragement!