This post may contain affiliate links. View the full disclosure statement for more details. Sign up for the Schooling a Monkey newsletter to gain access to more hands-on activity ideas!
American Flag Surprise Cake Recipe
- Whole milk
- 10 eggs
- Buttermilk (we used Bulgarian full fat buttermilk and it was amazing)
- 6 sticks of butter (or 48 ounces if your butter does not come in standard stick sizes. We usually buy Kerrygold which comes in 16 ounce sticks)
- 6 cups of sugar
- Paste food coloring in blue and red
- Parchment paper
German Buttercream Recipe
German Buttercream Ingredients
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (I’ve tried it with cornstarch and flour, and cornstarch is better if you have no allergies. The flour version leaves a slight flour taste in the custard. If you do use flour, use 3 tablespoons.)
- 4 sticks of butter (if your butter is rich, you may be able to get away with 3 sticks). I’ve tried it both with unsalted and salted butter, and I am not sure which I prefer. The unsalted version is a little flatter in taste, but salted butter makes it taste more like butter. If you use salted butter, skip adding salt.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
Assembling the American Flag Surprise Cake
|This was before I trimmed the hidden white layer to make the|
red circle lay flat with the top of the blue layer.
Simplified Version of the American Flag Surprise Cake
A Word on Buttercream Icing
More Patriotic Fun
Join the Homeschooling 101 group for more hands-on teaching ideas!